Welcome Back! Over the past few weeks we have been discussing what happens to your teeth and gums over your lifetime. This week we will be showing you what the risks are for your teeth during the ages of 16-25 years old and 25-45 years old; as well as sharing with you the best why to take care of your oral health to ensure you have a lifetime of teeth.
- Wisdom teeth eruption usually occurs around this time. Some people can get more than 4 wisdom teeth! People who do have wisdom teeth will commonly have between 1 and 4.
Common reasons why wisdom teeth need to be extracted are that they can be impossible to keep healthy and therefore harbor bad bacteria which eventually will lead to gum and bone infection or tooth decay.
- Changes in diet and lack of home care at this age can put this age group’s dental health at risk.
What you can do:
- Regular dentist checks and oral hygiene appointments to maintain health.
A dentist can help identify impacted wisdom teeth. They can help minimise your risk of decay or infection.
Ages 25- 45
- With the busyness of our lives, career, family and friends, many people of this age do not put a lot of emphasis on their overall health.
- Teeth and gums can start to show signs of wear, weakening and possibly active infection.
- Social risk factors such as smoking, diet and alcohol may contribute to the deterioration of our health.
- This is also the age where the signs of gum and bone disease can become apparent
- Obviously, any changes in our overall health will impact negatively on our oral health and vice versa.
What you can do:
- Visits to the dentists are important to identify and manage the disease before the damage is done.
Gum infection is a silent killer. There is no pain until the end stage.
- Consistent home care routine is essential.
How we can help:
At Hartwell Dentistry we have a dedicated Oral Health Team. Their focus is Oral Health and how it can affect your overall health. Our Oral Health Therapist will not only identify teeth and gum issues at an early stage but give you tips and techniques on what you can do at home. How we take care of our teeth and gums at home is just as important as a professional clean.